From 2016-2017, Karli was hired as Coordinator for Canada’s All Party Parliamentary Group for the Prevention of Genocide and Other Crimes Against Humanity.
The group was founded by retired Senator and LGen. Roméo Dallaire, who was responsible for the United Nations peacekeeping mission during the 1994 Rwanda genocide against the Tutsi.
The non-partisan parliamentary group in partnership with Concordia University’s Montreal Institute for Human Rights and Genocide Studies (MIGS), works to promote cross-party discussion, common ground, education and action towards the responsibility to protect and act in grave human rights abuses.
Under the supervision of the Chair, Liberal MP Ali Ehsassi, Karli was responsible for:
- Ensuring parliamentarians do all that is in their power to prevent the crime of genocide & crimes against humanity as promoting understanding about long-term approaches;
- Increasing the flow of information, timely exchange of information & analysis to parliamentarians about strategies of prevention as through news surveillance & distribution through regular reports;
- Recruiting members & maintaining communication with MPs & Senators;
- Fostering collaboration with civil society & other parliamentarians;
- Organizing member & public events/panels;
- Managing finances, budget & fundraising own salary;
- Managing website & social media (FB: @CanadaGPG , T: @Prev_Gen )